1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 medium red onions
1 large butternut squash
3 apples (any type)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or ¼ teaspoon ginger powder)
salt and pepper to taste
Low sodium vegetable broth (3-4 cups)
½ cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds) or roast the seeds from the squash
1. Chop onions and peel squash - remove seeds and cube. Core and cube apples (leave the peel on).
2. In a large pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent. Add squash and sauté a bit more.
3. Then add apple, cinnamon, ginger, salt and pepper. Cover with broth and bring to a boil.
4. Lower heat and let simmer for 30-45 minutes, until very tender.
5. Remove from heat and let cool for 15-30 minutes.
6. Carefully add soup to a blender and blend until smooth, you may have to do this in 2 batches.
7. Transfer back to the pot and heat through. Top each serving with the pepitas.