Prep time does not include soaking time for the nuts/seeds or the time to peel and remove pomegranate seeds (arils).
serves 4 as a side
For the Caesar-ish dressing:
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for several hours (or 30 minutes in hot water)
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked for several hours (or 30 minutes in hot water) then rinsed and drained
1/2 cup (or more) water
Juice from 1/2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon capers
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
6-8 cups kale, stems removed and chopped
2 stalks celery, diced
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds (arils)
2 tablespoons hemp seeds
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1. Prepare the dressing: add all ingredients to a high speed blender (started with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper) and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add more water to thin out if desired and adjust amount of salt if necessary.
2. Pour several tablespoons into a large bowl.
3. Mix the kale into the bowl with the dressing and really work it in well. Add more dressing if desired.
4. Then stir in the celery, pomegranate seeds, seeds, and nutritional yeast.
5. Store any extra dressing in the refrigerator.