The prep time is mainly the time to freeze the layers.
makes 6 candy bars
For the coconut layer:
½ cup cashew butter
3 tablespoons coconut butter NOT oil, store-bought or make your own
For the caramel layer:
½ cup dates, pits removed
1/8 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the chocolate coating:
¼ cup raw cacao powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or coconut nectar
1 tablespoon warm water
1. Place the dates (caramel layer) in a small bowl and cover with hot water.
2. Make the coconut layer next: combine the coconut butter and coconut flour in a medium bowl and mix well.
3. Line a small baking pan (I used 5x7) with parchment paper, allowing enough paper to came up the sides so you can pull out the bars later. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. Place in the freezer while you make the caramel.
4. For the caramel filling: combine the pitted dates & 1/4 cup of the soaking water, salt, vanilla, coconut oil in a food processor and run until completely smooth, stopping a few times to scrape down the sides.
5. Remove the coconut layer from the freezer and spread the caramel filling evenly over the top. Place back in the freezer for about an hour. Then make the chocolate coating.
6. For the chocolate coating, mix raw cacao powder,coconut oil, maple syrup, and water in a small bowl.
7. Remove the pan from the freezer, and spoon about half of the chocolate over the top, spread evenly. The chocolate will start to harden almost immediately so work quickly.
8. Place back in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or until chocolate is hard.
9. Remove from the freezer, remove the bars by pulling up on the parchment paper. Flip the bars over and coat the bottom with the remainder of the chocolate. Back in the freezer one more time to harden (at least 20-30 minutes).
10. Flip over again and allow to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes so the coconut layer softens enough to slice. Cut 6 bars.
9. Store in the freezer.
The chocolate melts very quickly!