peeling the carrots is optional, I do not if using organic
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 red onion, rough chopped
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & smashed
1-inch piece of ginger, peeled
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, depending on how spicy you want it or omit
Salt & pepper, to taste
8 carrots, cut into chunks (about 2 lbs)
Low-sodium vegetable broth or water, as needed (start with 3-4 cups)
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
Optional toppings: roasted chickpeas, sautéed greens, and/or nuts/seeds
1. Sauté onions in coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat until onions become translucent.
2. Stir in garlic, ginger,turmeric, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper, and carrots sauté for another2-3 minutes.
3. Add enough vegetable broth/water to cover the vegetables, bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer. Keep it covered, until the carrots are very tender, 20-25 minutes.
4. Put all the vegetables and liquid into a blender and carefully blend until smooth, adding more broth if necessary.
5. Return to the pot, stir in the coconut milk and heat through.
6. Top each serving with your favorite toppings.