This recipe uses cooked brown/green lentils.
If you do not have all the spices listed, no big deal, just leave 'em out!
about 36 1-inch balls
1 carrot, rough chopped
1 stalk celery, rough chopped
1 small beet, rough chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, rough chopped
1/2 cup walnuts
small handful of parsley
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup onion
3 cups cooked lentils
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon each: dried thyme, coriander, paprika
1/2 teaspoon each: red pepper flakes (optional), nutmeg, cinnamon
salt and pepper
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour or ground flax
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the first 8 ingredients (through the onion) in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped. Put into a large bowl.
3. Then pulse the lentils in the food processor (no need to clean in between) and pulse, leaving a little texture. Add to the bowl with the veggies.
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir well.
5. With your hands, roll into one-inch balls and place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes until lightly browned and a little firm.
Serve with your favorite marinara or BBQ sauce or add a big salad.
To make nut-free, use pumpkin or sunflower seeds instead of walnuts
adapted from Beet ball recipe from Sasha Raj