This recipe uses cooked lentils.
for the cauliflower mash topping:
1 head cauliflower, leaves & core removed and roughly chopped
½ cup vegetable broth
4 cloves roasted garlic or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
salt, to taste
for the filling:
2 teaspoons oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 chopped onion
1 (8oz) package mushrooms, chopped
2 cups cooked lentils
1 teaspoon each dried rosemary, thyme, parsley
½-1 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon arrowroot
Salt and pepper
1. Steam the cauliflower until very tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the filling: In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and mushrooms and sauté for about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the lentils and seasoning.
4. Mix ½ cup vegetable broth and the arrowroot in a small bowl. Pour into the sauté pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for a few minutes, until sauce is thickened, add more broth if necessary. Then remove from the heat.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Transfer the tender cauliflower to a food processor and pulse with the broth, garlic, nutritional yeast, and salt until smooth.
7. Transfer the filling mixture to an 8x8 baking dish.Spoon the cauliflower over top and spread evenly. Cover with foil.
8. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Then remove the foil and broil for 2-3 minutes until golden.
9. Remove from oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes.