1/2 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 teaspoons coconut oil (or oil of choice)
1/2 cup brown lentils, dry
1 tablespoon chili powder or chipotle chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt, to taste
2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons raisins, finely chopped
tortillas of choice or lettuce leaves
toppings of choice: lettuce, tomato, avocado, salsa
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions, celery, garlic, and jalapeno in the oil for five minutes or until vegetables are soft.
2. Stir in the lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano and cook for one minute.
3. Add the broth and raisins.
4. Cover and cook for 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender (add more water or broth as needed).
5. Spoon the lentil mixture into the tortillas or lettuce leaves. Top with favorite toppings.
You can also use about 2 cups cooked lentils, just use less broth (1/2-1 cup) and only simmer for 5-10 minutes.