makes about 16 bites
½ cup dry quinoa or 1 ½ cups cooked
½ cup cooked beans (white or garbanzo)
1 cup chopped spinach
1 tablespoon ground flax plus 3 tablespoons water (stir together and let it sitfor 5 minutes)
¼ cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
Marina/Pizza sauce for dipping (optional)
1. Rinse quinoa well and combine with water in a small pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to low and simmer for about 12 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from the pot from heat and leave covered for 5 minutes while assembling other ingredients.
2. Make the flax “egg”: in a separate dish and let it sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a mini muffin tin by greasing lightly and set aside.
4. While the “egg” is sitting combine all ingredients and mix well in a large bowl.
5. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into each mini muffin and press down firmly.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool, then gently run a dull knife around each muffin and remove.
7. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Feel free to use a regular size muffin tin to makes bigger ones (makes about 6).
Try adding mushrooms, bell pepper, olives, etc.!