No need to salt the eggplant and allow to sit, as other recipes suggest.
1 large eggplant, sliced thinly width-wise
about ½ lb. potatoes (Russet or red or white), sliced thinly width-wise
For Cauliflower Béchamel Sauce:
2 cups raw cauliflower florets
¼ cup onion, rough chopped
2 garlic cloves
½ cup vegetable broth
¼ cup cashews
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
dash of nutmeg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
For the tomato sauce/lentil sauce:
2 teaspoons olive or coconut oil
1-2 stalks celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dried brown lentils
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes plus water/broth as needed
salt and pepper, to taste
splash of red wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven up to400 degrees F. Place eggplant and potato slices on a parchment-lined baking tray (no need to grease them) and into the oven for about 20 min. until they are soft and lightly browned.
2. While the veggies are baking, prepare the Béchamel and tomato sauce.
3. For the béchamel, add cauliflower, onion, garlic, and broth to a pot. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until very tender, about 15 minutes.
4. For the tomato sauce: In a sauté pan, heat the oil. Sauté celery, onion, and garlic for 3-4 minutes. Add in oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and coating the onion-garlic mixture in the spices.
5. Stir in the lentils and tomatoes, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add a little broth or water if it seems too dry. Season with salt and pepper and add a splash of red wine vinegar.
6. Finish the cauliflower béchamel: put cashews in a high speed blender, and then add the cooked cauliflower,onion, and garlic plus the broth they cooked in. Add the remaining ingredients and carefully blend until smooth. You may need to add more broth or water but it should be a fairly thick sauce.
7. Lightly oil an 8x8 baking pan. To assemble Moussaka, place a layer of potato slices on the bottom. Season with salt and pepper. Then do a layer of eggplant, season with salt and pepper.Top with one-third of the tomato/lentil sauce. Repeat with 2 more layers of potatoes, eggplant, tomato/lentil sauce. Finally, pour and spread béchamel on top.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes. Allow to stand for 15 minutes before cutting.