for the gravy:
½ cup dried brown lentils
1 teaspoon coconut oil
½ onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
½ teaspoon each: coriander, cumin, turmeric
salt & pepper, to taste
1 1/2-2 cups vegetable broth
1 bunch collard greens (8 large leaves needed for recipe)for the filling:
1. Place the dried lentils in asaucepan and cover with about an inch of water. Bring to a boil, reduce theheat and simmer (covered) for about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile remove the stems fromthe collard leaves: with a sharp knife, cut along each side of the stem about 2inches up into the leaf in a V shape.
3. Then prepare the filling: In alarge skillet, heat the oil and sauté the onion for a few minutes. Then stir inthe garlic, potatoes, ginger, and spices and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.Pour the broth in, cover, and simmer 10-15 minutes until the potatoes aretender. Then stir in the peas and half of the cilantro.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degreesF.
5. Arrange a collard leaf onyour work surface and top with about ½ cup filling. Roll up; starting with thelarge end of the leaf and rolling it over the filling, tucking in the ends,like a burrito.
6. Place rolled leaves in a 9x13baking dish. If there is extra filling, just spoon along the sides of therolls. Add about ½ cup vegetable broth, cover with foil and bake for 20-25minutes.
7. Then work on the lentil gravy:Heat the oil in a skillet. Sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes. Stirin the tomato paste, ginger and spices and sauté for another minute. The addthe cooked lentils and broth and heat through.
8. Pour the gravy over the collardrolls and top with the rest of the cilantro.