no need to peel the sweet potatoes, the skins are good for you
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
¼- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces or 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 cups cauliflower florets (or use other veggies you like-broccoli, greens beans, etc)
½ cup almond butter
1/2 cup tomato paste
4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
½ bunch collard greens, ribs removed and chopped
¼ cup roughly chopped almonds, for garnish
¼ cup chopped cilantro (optional)
1. In a medium Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, ginger, garlic, salt, and chili flakes and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
2. Add the sweet potatoes, cauliflower, almond butter and tomato paste and stir to mix in with the sauteed veggies. Then pour in the broth.
3. Cover, bring to a simmer, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring often.
4. Then mix in the greens and simmer for another 15 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Top with chopped almonds and cilantro.
Traditional West African Stew uses peanut butter so feel free to sub that for the almond butter! Tastes even better the next day!